3.24.2009

...:¨:...:¨:...:¨:... words and kilometers ...:¨:...:¨:...:¨:...






This work consists in collecting all the chat conversations that I have had with my closest people who are living in a city different than mine. I print them, cut line by line and then glue one after another to build a thread of conversations (so far I have 1,5 km approximately), in this way I reconstruct talks that have allowed me to keep in touch but that, at the same time, remind me of the insufficiencies of this kind of communication. The long line of words seems to be infinite and in an attempt to prove its capacity of bringing me closer to those who are far away I start to walk and pull out the thread following the direction of the location of each one of them. However, the words thread falls short. From the 8519,08 kilometers that separate me from Barcelona, I have only walked 39.553 words.

*I participated with this work in the exhibition 'Y el amor ¿cómo vá? at Galeria Santafe (located inside Bogotá' s Planetarium) in 2008. The day of the exhibitions opening the whole work was destroyed by the public, as carried by the curiosity, they started to pick up the thread of paper to read what was in them and some of the people even took pieces of conversations back home. This I didnt expected, this I didn’t intend to bring about. My first reaction wasnt possitive at all, I was angry with the gallery that allowed the destruction of my work, I was angry with the people that didn’t care about braking the long thread of paper that took me weeks to build, I was angry at me for being so naive.
As the days passed the work started changing, as well as my attitude towards the whole experience. I decided to leave the work without my intervention, without fixing it back, just flowing with the visitors interventions as I realized that in some way that reaffirmed my reflections towards the impossibility and fragility of virtual communication. This experience brought to my head lots of common, long established, but still valid questions about art, public and participation.



..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..:¨:..